• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Skin issues.

Process

Bluelighter
All early teens and late teens I never had acne problems and had pretty clear skin. I'm 21 and recently stoped useing meth. I would always break out while useing meth and always had a hard time geting my skin clear when I would take breaks. I would shower and use face wash like normal but it would barly do anything.

My back breaks out from time to time, and i cant seem to get my face clear. Has anyone else who stoped useing meth or is still useing have any advise on a better way to keep my skin clear? Its really annoying and I avoid going out cause of it.

I dont know about the meth bit of the story but Roccatune is amazing at clearing acne - some people have adverse side effects and you need to get it from your Doctors. Careful with some of the facewashes as these dry your skin out too much and only make matters worse.

I dont know about the meth bit of the story but Roccatune is amazing at clearing acne
Roccatune is a German music portal. Roaccutaine is an acne medication. ;)

some people have adverse side effects and you need to get it from your Doctors. Careful with some of the facewashes as these dry your skin out too much and only make matters worse.
At least face washes only dry out the skin. What does Roaccutaine do? Let's see...

Isotretinoin's exact mechanism of action is unknown. However it is known that, like other retinoids, the drug alters DNA transcription.

Adverse effects

Adverse drug reactions associated with isotretinoin therapy include:

* Common: Mild acne flare, dryness of skin, lips and mucous membranes, infection of the cuticles, cheilitis, itch, rosacea, skin fragility, skin peeling, rash, flushing, nose bleeds, dry eyes, diffuse alopecia areata, eye irritation, conjunctivitis, reduced tolerance to contact lenses, hyperlipidaemia, raised liver enzymes, permanent thin skin, headaches, permanent hair thinning (This could start or continue after treatment), myalgia and/or arthralgia, back pain.

* Infrequent: severe acne flare, raised blood glucose level, increased erythrocyte sedimentation rate, fatigue.

* Rare: impaired night vision; cataracts; optic neuritis; menstrual disturbances; inflammatory bowel disease; pancreatitis; hepatitis; corneal opacities; papilloedema; idiopathic intracranial hypertension; skeletal hyperostosis; extraosseous calcification; psychosis; and it is believed that severe depression can occur, although there is no conclusive evidence for this.

The following adverse effects have been reported to persist, even after discontinuing therapy: alopecia (hair loss), arthralgias, decreased night vision, inflammatory bowel disease, degenerative disc disease, keloids, bone disease. High dosages of isotretinoin have been reported to cause rosacea (a disease of severe facial skin redness and irritation).

Erectile dysfunction in the form of difficulty in maintaining erection was reported in several patients in a clinical study. Although the definitive cause remains unknown, the impotence may have been caused by the psychiatric side effects of isotretinoin as it was seen to occur alongside with symptoms of depression.

While vitamin E supplements have been advocated by some to reduce the toxicity of high-dose retinoids without reducing drug efficacy, test results have proven this to be false (though no indication of what form of vitamin E was used).

Patients with degenerative conditions, such as muscular dystrophy, should not take isotretinoin as it may exacerbate and/or accelerate the underlying condition. This may be due to a suspected effect similar to accelerated aging on the skin and tissues of the body, including muscle fibers.

Patients receiving isotretinoin therapy are not permitted to donate blood during and for at least one month after discontinuation of isotretinoin therapy due to its teratogenicity.

Patients that get a tattoo while on this medication might get scarring on the tattoed area, and also rejection of the ink.

Teratogenicity (Birth Defects)

Isotretinoin is a teratogen and is highly likely to cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy. A few of the more common birth defects that this drug can cause are hearing and visual impairment, missing earlobes, facial dysmorphism, and mental retardation. Isotretinoin is classified as FDA Pregnancy Category X and ADEC Category X, and use is contraindicated in pregnancy.

The manufacturer recommends that pregnancy be excluded in female patients two weeks prior to commencement of isotretinoin, and that they should use effective contraception (sometimes two simultaneous forms are recommended) at least one month prior to commencement, during, and for at least one month following isotretinoin therapy.

In the U.S. more than 2,000 women have become pregnant while taking the drug between 1982 and 2003, with most pregnancies ending in abortion or miscarriage. About 160 babies with birth defects were born.

Depression

Several studies have suggested a possible link between isotretinoin and clinical depression. The argument that isotretinoin caused depression and suicide has won a few lawsuits, and is partially responsible for the strict control of the drug, especially in the United States. Various case reports of depression, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, and suicide in patients treated with isotretinoin have been reported to the U.S. FDA Adverse Events Reporting System, with 431 cases reported between 1982 and May 2001 – of these, 37 patients had committed suicide. This suicide rate is in line with national rates and does not exceed the national average. However, Congressman Bart Stupak stated that the total suicides caused by Accutane may be as high as 50,000 due to the underreporting of the suicides and since it is used for neuroblastoma, a form of brain cancer. High risk neuroblastoma is treated with biological-based therapy 13-cis-retinoic acid (isotretinoin or Accutane). While analyses have suggested an association between isotretinoin therapy and depression, no causal relationship has been established and further studies are required.

Studies have shown that patients with acne, the population group eligible to receive isotretinoin therapy, have an increased risk of clinical depression compared with the general population. Chee Hong describes Isotretinoin-related depression as "an idiosyncratic side-effect", claiming, often anxiety can bring on acne and depression, creating more anxiety. Correspondingly, treatment of severe acne with isotretinoin has been shown to reduce anxiety and depression, for tests have shown acne to be a main depressant in most tested patients' lives.

One study utilising positron emission tomography (PET) showed functional brain imaging changes in patients treated with isotretinoin, however the clinical relevance of this finding is unclear.

U.S. Representative Bart Stupak (D-MI) is known for his distrust of Accutane. He believes unadvertised psychological side effects from the drug drove his teenage son, Bartholomew Thomas "B.J" Stupak Jr., to commit suicide in 2000.

Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

Several scientific studies have posited that isotretinoin is a possible cause of Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative colitis in some individuals. Three cases in the United States have gone to trial thus far, with all three resulting in multi-million dollar judgments against the makers of isotretinoin; there are an additional 425 cases pending.

source: wiki

Many former isotretinoin users say their hair, eyebrows, or eyelashes have fallen out months, or even years, after stopping the drug. Some claim their hair loss is permanent.

Why does isotretinoin hair-loss happen? Isotretinoin impacts the oil-gland function of the skin (including the scalp) and causes changes in cells that provide structure to hair and skin, all of which leads to hair and skin dryness and fragility, which can cause hair-thinning, hair-loss, and even baldness.

Current and former Accutane users attribute aches and joint pains to the acne drug. A 37-year-old nurse with cystic acne claims Accutane caused her to develop permanent, severe low-back pain, severe joint pain and thinning hair. She writes: "Now, almost 7 years later, I suffer from severe back and generalized joint pain to the point I can no longer work full-time. Before Accutane, I was a healthy, active young woman. It definitely ages you prematurely. If you haven't had these awful symptoms, count yourself blessed."

Experts agree that alternatives without serious side effects should be tried first.

How Isotretinoin Works

Isotretinoin inhibits the body's cell growth and reproduction, and oil-gland function.

Isotretinoin also depletes the body's water-holding molecules, which bind, lubricate and protect tissue in the skin, scalp, eyes and joints.

source: http://isotretinoinsideeffects.com/

Even doctors - responsible ones, that is - turn to (ro)accutane after other, milder drugs have already been tried and not as a drug of first resort.

A natural approach

If you would like to try a natural approach, one without a mile-long list of side effects and the signing of forms and reading of FDA "Black Box" warnings, I suggest you look to two safe and inexpensive ingredients - Aloe Vera and Apple Cider Vinegar. Both should be organic, obtained easily at your local health food store.

Aloe Vera Gel can be applied topically, like you would any other cream or ointment. Aloe Vera gel or juice can be taken internally.

Apple Cider Vinegar - organic, non-pasteurized - can be taken internally in a solution of 1-2 Tablespoon ACV in a glass of distilled or purified water, twice daily.

Do some research into these two with respect to acne and see if you would prefer to take this approach with practically the only side effects reported being a personal dislike of the taste on one or both of the ingredients and perhaps a reaction to the acidity of ACV in people with compromised stomachs (ulcers and such. Although ACV is also a reported cure for those same ulcers). In any case, you've just finished intoxicating your body (meth). The last thing I believe your body needs right now is more intoxication by another drug, prescribed or not. Aloe Vera and Apple Cider Vinegar are not drugs. They are actually things your body will most likely appreciate.

Go to a dermatologist.

Fastest route to success.

Personally I use this stuff called klaron (sodium sulfacetamide), works wonders to keep my shit clear. Been using it for about a year now and love it, but its rarely prescribed now. If your acne is severe maybe you should consider starting off on a low dose of antibiotics (derm will decide) and working your way up to accutane.

Accutane isnt a guaranteed cure. I have a friend that has taken it at the max dose for as long as they allowed and his acne returned within 3 months.

My number one advice is to take Accutane if you're going to take medications. Antibiotics may help relieve symptoms but that's temporary. Topical stuff generally fuck up your skin as much as acne does.

What I did was try to eat less carbs and increase protein and fat, also cut out dairy and most wheat products. I don't know if this works or if I'm growing out of acne but I definitely see an improvement. It was pretty much severe, but now it's mild I would say (basically no inflammation, just clogged pores). I've read so much about nutrition because of my acne, but it's hit and miss. Perhaps it does nothing for you. The link between dairy and acne is pretty much concluded, though.

Eat a healthy diet, particularly in regards to fats. Eat only a little omega 6s, found in oils used in processed foods (safflower, canola, soybean, corn, and others) but plenty of omega 3s, found in flax, hemp, and some fish. Also, I have seen a few threads in here started by (ex-)meth addicts that ate way too little. Be sure you get the calories you need (which varies a lot depending on how active you are and how big you are).

Use aloe vera and tea tree oil on your face.

Congrats on getting off meth. :)

i dunno how bad your skin is, but last year i did x a lot (pills and powdered mdma form) and it didnt do my skin any good.
since i stopped taking it, it cleared a little but what mainly seems to have helped is how i wash my face:

basically, every morning and night wash your face, then run some kind of cleanser over it (i just use babywipes really) and then just as youve dried, when you get that kind of stretched feeling in your face, put moisturizer over your face. anything works really, e45 creams great if you can get that, but aftersun lotion works too.

basically, acnes caused by an overproduction of sebum (oil) in your skin. your skin produces this oil to compensate for dryness, so while it might seem counterproductive to moisturize greasy skin, in fact its only the very surface which is greasy, with the layers under that being dry and in need of some kind of moisture which what your skins producing the sebum (and in turn, spots) to make.

hope that could be some help.

Dont take accutane.

Boil water and add lemon juice as water is cooling off and drink this once in a while, each week, better to do in the morning to detoxify your liver.

Tea tree oil works wonders.

This website has helped me a lot.
http://www.natural-acne-treatments.com/

also might try eating more foods or supplements that have natural antibotic effects like ginger and garlic.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, after research i'm going with the natural way and see if that works.

Don't use antibiotics or Accutane. Minocycline turned my teeth a disgusting bluish-gray. There is no point to having clear skin if your teeth are revolting. Accutane can cripple your liver for the rest of your life; my friend who was on Accutane in his teens cannot have any alcohol now, ever, much less other drugs. Since you're on a drug board I REALLY doubt you want to cripple your liver!

Try cutting gluten from your diet. I had cystic acne (that's when you have lesions as much as an inch in diameter full of purple blood because they're so deeply embedded in the skin; I was a revolting monster for four years of my life) and cutting gluten helped me so much.

All early teens and late teens I never had acne problems and had pretty clear skin.

I'm 21 and recently stoped useing meth. I would always break out while useing meth and always had a hard time geting my skin clear when I would take breaks. I would shower and use face wash like normal but it would barly do anything.

My back breaks out from time to time, and i cant seem to get my face clear.
Has anyone else who stoped useing meth or is still useing have any advise on a better way to keep my skin clear? Its really annoying and I avoid going out cause of it.
^^^
You need some time for your system to detox, after quiting meth, before your skin clears out along with it! while waiting for detox next month-don't sit idle. You can make it easier on yourself, by practicing some of the following:

Drink plenty of water with (lemon squeezed in a jug of water), or (apple cider vinegar I think it is 1 part in ten of water), about 1/2 hour or 3/4 hour before breakfast or before any other meal, if you skip breakfast.

Also there are a number of detox teas, which you could be drinking through the day.

Have a souna or if you know of far infrared wave therapy (sauna), it will assist you to detoxify faster if you have one or a couple a week. Go for a swim or cycling, it should help you eliminate easier and have plenty of vegies and fish.

This is a great start, and by the time you go for rehab, you would have reduced a lot of the crap out of your system and make it easier on your system by then. :)<3

But i been clean off meth for 2 months now, My body stills needs to detox? I thought meth only took few 4 days to clear the system? I know my mind well take months, even years to repair.

Does meth leave crap behind even after months of clean time? It would explaine my nasty break outs that never seem to go away.

It takes quite a while for your system to clean up, 2 weeks is a stereotypical suggestion. Chemicals are stored in your fat deposits and it takes a while to break down and release and clear out. So exercise, saunas, detox drinks like the ones I suggeste, will help the process to detox faster.